BF3 on Proton Linux

Good morning,

I’ve got a buddy who’s struggling to get BF3 working on his gaming system, and he’s using Proton Linux. Apparently, he can’t get Origin/EA app to install, and he’s not using wine.
I’m no linux guy, so I can’t help him much, I tried googling the answer, but that just seems to simply say “use wine”, which, to what little I know of linux, is the only way to get things working?

If anyone who’s knowledgeable on this is willing to chip in, please do.

Thank you for your time,

-Kevonovitch

wait he cant get either one installed?..f EAapp…see if he can get the workaround to install the old orgin app…on one of our past posts…sure you remember

Good evening,

I do remember, and I linked him the site, however, that fix only works for windows, linux has some weird voodoo jibber-jabbery that needs to be done instead. I did find a thread to the game itself off ProtonDB and it seems people had a few ways of getting things working, and reddit/steam forums just said “use wine” or linked me to ProtonDB anyways.

Update: So, from my Proton Linux buddy, VU cannot find BF3, and BF3 works just fine.

Update 2: So we managed to get things working somewhat by following some info off the discord, however, now he’s both unable verify account, nor get the ea activation to work.

-Kevonovitch

I’m eager to know if you ever get this fixed, a friend of mine would also like to get this working on his PC as well.

Good evening,

My apologies for the late reply, and we somewhat have fixed the issue. We followed some instructions off the discord to get the game working on Proton, however, they’re having crashing issues, and I’m trying to get them to generate crash logs, and possibly try a 2nd way of getting the game working.

Not too much luck on my end, but your friend might have better luck than mine do.

-Kevonovitch

1 Like