SUGGESTION: Moderate Realism Mod?

DISCLAIMER: I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if it’s not, do take it down. Don’t want to be disrupting the forum community.

As the title suggests, I think a realism mod, that isn’t too hardcore would be really cool. I sadly have no modding or coding experience, so I can’t take up the project myself, but I’m leaving this post here as a suggestion to anyone who’s up for it!

What I’d be looking for is to make the game more hardcore and realistic, but not too much. I think the TTK should be increased quite a bit so that a couple of bullets are enough to kill someone, and you have to be more careful traversing the map because of that.

Maybe a limited UI, maybe just leave the objective markers and a compass and that’s it. Though, I’ve seen a very nice compass mod already on the forums, so that doesn’t need to be a feature.

I think your ammo shouldn’t be shown unless you hold R or something like that, a bit like Insurgency for example. If possible, an animation would be a nice addition to it. Maybe just use the change mag animation (when you haven’t gone dry)? Since you don’t really see the bottom of the screen, it looks like your character is just taking out the magazine and putting it back in, and that would be very nice for the feature.

In my opinion, health regeneration should be disabled too, unless you’re next to a regen item from a medic

I think a lean feature would also be a really nice addition, but it’d probably be the hardest bit, so that wouldn’t really a priority for the mod.

I know I may be asking for a bit much, but I’d really love to see something like this. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a single mod either, could be a modpack consisting of mods from other talented people in this community!

What you’re describing is basically the hardcore mode from BF3, and you can run this simply by using vars in your startup.txt:

vars.friendlyFire true
vars.hud false
vars.3dSpotting 1
vars.miniMapSpotting false
vars.miniMap false
vars.killCam false
vars.soldierHealth 60
vars.regenerateHealth false
vars.onlySquadLeaderSpawn true

This will remove all HUD elements and the “dorito” spotting plus make time-to-kill much lower.

Additionally I’ve added the following to my startup.txt…

vu.TimeScale 0.80

…to slow things down a bit as the run speed is quite excessive.

Also use the compass mod so you can call out bearings and you’re pretty close to what you want.

Only thing missing from your request is check ammo and lean.

1 Like

Damn that’s pretty neat. Thanks, I’ll take a look!