Vu-compass - The classic compass available for any map/mode

vu-compass

A compass ui-mod for Venice Unleashed

About

The compass widget that we all know and love :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: from games like PR, PUBG, Squad, etc it’s now available as a standalone mod for Venice Unleashed. Just add it in your ModList and it should work out of the box with any other mod or for any vanilla server.

Check it in action

Config

You can check the ext/client/config.lua file for the available config options. You can changes those options:

1. by directly changing the config file
  2. using the RCON commands compass.SetPosition, compass.SetIndicator and compass.ShowDegrees
  3. by dispatching an event from another mod, passing your preferred values
-- update the config from another mod example
Events:Dispatch('Compass:Config', {
  ['position'] = 'bottom'
})

Warzone Compass

vu-compass warzone

I also added a Warzone styled compass as a bonus . If anyone wants to use it instead of the default one, you can simply download it from here Warzone Compass (zip). The ui is already precompiled for you. Don’t expect the config options to work though.

Download

Latest v1.2.1 (zip)

I would suggest you to check the github repo for any updates

Changelog

v1.2.1

• fixed compass disappearing after revive

v1.2.0

• replaced GetYPRFromULF which caused silent crashes for a small number of players
  • fixed issue where compass was visible during loading/end of round
  • rewrote lua code

v1.1.0

• added degrees value display
  • better visibility against white background
    Thanks to @GreatApo for:
  • added server code to check for available updates
  • hide compass when the rest of the UI disappears fix

v1.0.6

• added RCON config commands

v1.0.5

• fixed green screen issue
  • fixed bottom styles
  • added opacity to edges

v1.0.3

• minor style updates for a smoother and better looking compass

v1.0.2

• fixed yaw value not being correct while soldier is inside some vehicles
12 Likes

Updated to v1.0.2

• fixed yaw value not being correct while soldier is inside some vehicles
2 Likes

Very nice! Pretty sure we’re going to use this across all our servers.

1 Like

Thanks @LeonLionHeart

btw if anyone wants to use the warzone styled compass, you can simply download the code from the warzone branch from here https://github.com/kapraran/vu-compass/tree/warzone. The ui is already precompiled for you. Don’t expect the config options to work though.

1 Like

Hi, on every server that has this mod my game crashes to the desktop when i spawn :frowning: Is there any solution to this problem? Thx

1 Like

I’ve played many rounds with it and i didn’t have any issues. Also, the lua code is simple. Pretty much just sends the yaw to the ui + some code to show/hide the compass. I don’t think that this mod causes the issues that you are dealing.

If there was a way to replicate the crashes, i may be able to help.

2 Likes

Updated to v1.0.3

• minor style updates for a smoother and better looking compass
1 Like

nice! good job) now i try to use

Hey, me too, after testing a lot of maps and modes I realized the ones that crash are the ones with this mod when I spawn

Whats the best way to debug the crash? I just ran a local server in my pc with this mod, ran the client version and connected to the server and the client crashed at spawn. I see there are other compass version mods in the mod folders of the vu client from when I tried to connect to ther servers running compass mod and crashed. Gonna try removing all other compass mod folders and connect to my server only.
Edit: Yet another crash, no change after removing all compass mod folders in the client…

I have tested it tens of times, reloading the mod, restarting it, moving to the next round etc and never had an issue with it. Please post a crash id cause i can’t reproduce.

1 Like

Hi breaknix, thanks, could you please tell me how to create the logfiles?
I’ve run vu.exe with the -debuglog and -trace options. That creates a logfile but empty… Any recommendations to generate good crash info?

When the client crashes, there’s a popup with the option to copy the crash id. Try this.

1 Like

Hmmm no popup on crash here… the VU window just dissapears and thats it

hmmm a silent crash? Maybe your issue is with VU in general or something?

I can’t really help cause i have no clue about what can cause your issues.

1 Like

Ok thanks I’ll check with the general support forum. Maybe I’m missing something or some other software is bugging. Cheers

@gevi i have the exact same issue. The issue stays the same after reinstalling BF3 and my graphics driver…

This mod seems to cause the Round Start Countdown (when players can spawn but cant yet move or shoot) and Waiting for Players (when there is not enough players to start the round) elements to not appear.

Those issues have been fixed. Update to the latest version.

2 Likes

Updated to v1.1.0
Download

• added degrees value display
    degrees
  • better visibility against white background

Thanks to @GreatApo for:

• added server code to check for available updates
  • hide compass when the rest of the UI disappears fix

:bangbang: I’ve read that HTTPS requests may cause some issues on wine (even without the certificate check). Let me know if it causes issues. Thanks!

2 Likes