Fun-bots - TDM - AI - Bots for BF3-VU

Since some of you are already using the new version:
There is a new Permission-System. The password does not exist anymore. You can set you permissions with procon (link how´to do this is in the Changelog) or just completely grant all access to everyone.
The player you want to grant permissions to has to be on the server when you execute the procon-command…

3 Likes

Seeing this mod is a dream come true…

Easy to setup on my own server and runs like a dream. The only thing i need now is to have the progression system.

Phenomenal work @De_Joe-91! Keep it up!

2 Likes

The Progression system has nothing to do with fun bots it’s VU‘s „fault“

Would it be possible to implement some sort of system where bots would reply to commands just like in Battlefield 2? (ie: A bot replying to my call saying i need ammo and coming to give me some)

That was a surprisingly useful feature in those old times, also for real thank you for this mod.

This was already suggested and I really like the idea. But I haven’t started working on this yet…

2 Likes

Although I agree with you, you probably should remove the “i will never need to buy any other battlefield game ever again!” thing in case someone from EA or Dice is roaming around and searching for anything that could give them the reason to lawsuit the crap out of VU and shut this entire project down lol

Btw, how’s the progress on vehicles going? When could we expect them on some other maps? <3

I think the land-vehicles are good to go right now on the master_v2 branch / on v2.0.0.0.
So everyone can give it a go and record new vehicle-paths. If you are happy with them you can send them to me and I can merge them into the master. Also the more people try this out the better the feedback about it is…
I for myself am still busy in tweaking and improving the overall handling, so I won’t start recording new paths the next few days and I will be away for a week as well…
But after that I will give start to add some more paths to more maps…

3 Likes

Thanks for replying, sounds awesome :slight_smile:

Hey Joe. How are you, man? Hell, I see you’re so devoted to this project, trying to create the perfect battlefield experience to all of us bot-lovers here, and we’re very grateful for this awesome mod you’ve brought here.

Man, do you have a patreon or PayPal account? I may give you something once I’m paid.

************** THREAD-RELATED

I was thinking the same thing as some other dudes who posted before me: Be able to interact with your squad (or team) by giving them orders (stick close, attack a point, or give you health/ammo/repairs when requested to do so).

I know it’s a long road until you can define this mod as the Definitive Battlefield 3 Bot Experience but the barebones (be able to fight them on TDM) are so fucking great.

Maybe we can get fully customizable bots like in Unreal Tournament, be able to give the bots their own personalities, accuracy settings, favorite weapon, favorite class, favorite team, and so on. (Can’t remember if Half-Life or Sven-Coop rcbots used “bot profiles” which you can edit)

Or like Perfect Dark with Vengeful bots, who goes for the last player who killed it, Feuding bots, concentrating on taking out an specific player and chases him until the game is over, or Kamikaze bots who are very aggressive and will never keep their distance. Maybe it would be very hard to make but well, there’s the idea. (I just imagined being chased by a Support bot holding C4s killing me and him as well).

It would also be awesome for the bots to take you down with their knives so, but you said to me that there was some technical difficulties to make it so due to VU limitations or something (can’t remember correctly).

Fun-bots have unlimited potential, and with it, you just made Battlefield 3 immortal. Now we just need the devs to make VU playable offline or in LAN (if they plan to do so).

1 Like

VU will never be offline possible I mean how you wanna do that if you need a connection to the ZEUS Server and for your own server ? And trust me after a while this mod gets boring not because it’s bad, it’s the biggest and only played mod right now in VU because there are no players in VU but more because it doesn’t have a navmesh system, you can see that the best on big maps after one play you know every single path because they will never change only if you add some new ones.

Hmm. I’m no expert but maybe the devs would create a boolean command “vu.offline” which can be put on the Startup.txt. Then a “Stay offline” option on the client. You would type “connnect 127.0.0.1” to connect to your server. I’m not sure if could work like that though.

About the mod, I see your point. But this is something I’ve waited for a long time and it’s very fun for me to play, because I always prefered to play bots instead of humans. Now I know they’re not without their issues, but they entertain me, that’s what matters to me.

1 Like

The boring part I can imagine, though it’s not the case with me at all because I play rarely (lack of time + bad pc) and when I do I go for slow, tactical play and immersion, so really it’s never boring to me. But this is why we can’t wait for vehicle bots (at least when big maps and conquest large are concerned), and also when I have more time and get a better pc I’m planning to create some complex paths that are not straightforward and that also mean bots being tactical, crouching next to objects, cars, edge of alleys, or going prone next to certain low points like windows, low walls, or park benches, or low fences etc… I can only see it being improved honestly, that’s why I suggest people not playing it for fun but for improvement, because the fun part is limited yet and one can spoil the mod for himself if he plays it in this state too much…so my advice for all is do more paths, be creative, and be patient ^^

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’m not doing this on my own and there are lots of others who contributed to this mod and also still do. And everyone is invited to join :wink: . I for myself don’t want any money for this as this is just a fun little experience and I want to continue doing this for fun and not in responsability :slight_smile: .
I really like you ideas! You are right with the takedown: I haven’t found a solution and think this is not possible rn with VU. I really don’t know how far we can go with fun-bots, but I’m really motivated to find out…

1 Like

I totaly agree, but in my opinion you can combine these things and just have a lot of fun in improving it :slight_smile:
And if everyone creates advanced pahts for just one map, we will have a lot of fun in a very short time.

2 Likes

somehow my server crashes when I play rush mode ( on maps that support rush mode in funbot-V2.0.0.1 ) , not immediately crashes but after some play time , is this a known problem ?

I haven’t found out what causes this yet. I’m on H
holiday rn but I will continue to search for the reason. If you find out any clue what exactly might cause this just let me know…

hey joe, thank you for replying, I just played rush mode with funbots for 3 rounds, and everything was fine, then I quit the game, a few seconds later the server crashed. I can’t tell whether it’s caused by funbots as the error info shows nothing related to funbots… I’ll tell you when I get more clue.
again thanks for this amazing mod, it surely brings so much fun…and enjoy your holiday~

1 Like

Hello Joe, after multiple tests, I think I’ve found the trigger for server crash in rush modes with fun-bots.
Here is the situation: when the charge is placed , and alarm goes off, and if the bot ( defender team ) starts defusing AFTER the alarm goes to second phase ( ring raises in pitch before exploding ), and then if the defuser bot gets killed, the server will crash immediately.
I hope this will help you look into the problem, fun-bots still has great potential.

1 Like

So when you tweak the bot config, you can come up with a setup that fits you but all bots seem too similar and that feels not realistic. Thus I would suggest to have an option that will randomize some of the config options (not fully but by a range eg. +/-10%). That will produce some “good” bot players and some “bad” bot players.

1 Like