Join the VU Modding Competition!

As some of you may now know, VU will be released in December 2020, but that doesn’t mean you need to wait that long to get your hands on it.

Starting today, we will be hosting a modding competition for VU with a simple task: Create your own mod and have it ready for the launch. The best mods will receive monetary prizes from our community fund (currently at 1832€!) and will be featured on official servers.

How does it work?

• Sign up for the competition by filling out this form, either alone or as a team*
  • If selected, you and your team will be given access to VU
  • Create your mod using VU’s modding tools - be creative!
  • Submit your finished mod in the Mod releases forum with the competition tag before VU release (exact release date will be announced later, but aim for early December).
  • The VU community, staff, and friends will vote on all submitted mods
  • The best mods will receive cash prizes and will be featured officially

* In order to keep things fair, even though everyone will be given a chance to participate, people who have already had access to VU’s modding tools will be ineligible to win prizes.

FAQ

What is the participant selection process? Are there strict requirements?

There are no strict requirements for participating in this competition. Not everyone who signs up will be selected so if you want to increase your chances make sure you fill the participation form out as thoroughly and truthfully as possible.

When will signups close?

Signups will remain open throughout the duration of the competition to about a week prior to its conclusion.

I don’t know anything about modding in VU. Where do I get started?

The best place to help you get started is the modding section of the VU wiki. After going through that there are also guides covering more specific areas and also various sample mods and more complete mods that you can use as a reference. You can also ask for help at any time in our Modding forums or the dedicated modding channels on our Discord server.

What are the rules of the competition?

The basic set of rules are the rules that apply to all mod releases. Other than that, the only other strict rule is that people who already have access to VU can’t qualify to win prizes.

Should I be making a specific kind of mod?

Not at all. You should make whatever you feel like making. Whether you want to make a mod that adds a new gamemode, a mod that provides tools to server admins, a mod that makes the game more accessible, or anything else, your submission will be welcome. Let your imagination run wild!

Can I submit an unfinished mod?

As long as the mod is functional and can stand on its own merit then yes. However, submissions that don’t work or are missing a substantial portion of functionality from what they claim will do will not be eligible to win.

Can I submit multiple mods?

Generally, no. You can only submit multiple mods if they together form a larger experience or a bundle of sorts (eg. a collection of server administration utilities or game improvements). You are still welcome to create multiple mods, but you can only submit one to the competition.

I found an issue. What do I do?

If you encounter an issue with VU make sure to check the public issue tracker and see if it’s a known issue. If not, open a new issue and include as much details as possible, such as what you think causes it and a reproduction case, as long as crash details if you have any.

I can’t figure out how to do something. What do I do?

If you can’t find out how to do something after going through the guides and the sample mods, you can ask by creating a topic in the Modding forums or the dedicated modding channels in our Discord server and someone will point you in the right direction.

Can I contribute to the prize pool?

If you want to contribute to the prize pool you should contact one of the admins either via our Discord server or by sending an e-mail to [email protected].

How will the prize money be distributed?

We have not decided yet, but because of the varying nature of what mods can be, it will probably be evenly distributed across the winners. The number of winners will be determined by the amount of submissions, but we’re aiming for three.

Do you have any more questions? Feel free to ask!

6 Likes

Can a party submit multiple mods?

2 Likes

If they form part of an experience or bundle of sorts (eg. a collection of server administration utilities) then yes.

1 Like

I’ve added an entry to the FAQ clarifying how many mods you can submit.

1 Like

@NoFaTe href is missing here:

1 Like

When will people be notified on whether they get selected or not? It feels like I’ve applied to a few different aspects of VU and never once even gotten a response.

Yes, you’ll get notified regardless of whether you were selected or not. Keep in mind that the e-mail may end up in spam.

hi @vu and members
can i add olso add mods from ( plug ins ) procon
can i also downloed plug ins programme and ad my old mods i have a lot mods foor procon …bf 3 bf 4 I had an servers in bf 3 and bf 4 hardline
traing to open VU problemme whit log in i have origine cd key bf 3
i unistaled vu instaled add log in origine

First of all PRoCon plugins are no mods…

Yes, you can still use PRoCon and all PRoCon plugins. That is no problem.

You have no access to VU, that’s why you can’t login. Just wait for the official release in December.

How long does it take to answer to my form? I’m really excited to try out my modding skills in the game but I don’t get anything to my mailbox.

It says use VU’s modding tools but I find little resources that qualify as official VU modding tools. Where are they?

@Nero_0ne
Usually 1-2 days, 3 days max

@moonrockett
Check here: https://docs.veniceunleashed.net/modding/
There’s the VeniceEXT scripting and the MapEditor

It was 5 days to tell me that I’m not selected to participate. I’m a bit angry because I didn’t got a reason why I am not selected. What is it require to participate anyway? The post doesn’t say I need to have any previous project to enter the competition. And how did they know how I am programming? So I just don’t understand why someone is selected or not. I am disappointed and angry. I wish luck for the selected ones in the competition!

Will VU be free? If it’s free, I’ll be the happiest person in the world. Please make free, bf3 also did not buy, but I’m playing pirates with multiroller. Because I don’t have a credit card

No, we’re not providing BF3 for free in under any terms, since we don’t support piracy, your altered version wont work with VU, sorry.

1 Like

Hi
Can some one let me know when we can login and play .
I understand that " participating in the modding competition " can login and rest people in the december
but now we have middle on december and i dont see any news .
Thank you

You can play on December 21st, check out The time has come :slight_smile: